Thursday, June 11, 2009

Medical Mission

At the end of May I had a different type of volunteer experience. US Air Force doctors and nurses from bases throughout the US came to Pavon, a larger town only 8 km from me, to host a free health clinic. My fellow PCV, David, and I were asked to help out during these 3 days. We ended up translating for various doctors that did not know Spanish.


The first day I worked with 2 dermatologists and saw many different skin problems! Luckily I am not grossed out easily, because I saw some crazy rashes, infections etc. I also learned that yeast infections of the skin are very common! It creates a white circular skin discoloration and looks a lot like sun spots.


The second and third days I worked with the gynecologist and lost all embarrassment as I had to ask people about their sex lives, periods etc. It was overall a really fun experience and cool to do something completely different for 3 days. A ton of people from my town came, including my host parents, so I guess I was also directly helping people from my community too.


This is a really great program of the US Air Force and they definitely helped out a lot! The ophthalmologists were giving out free glasses, the dentists were pulling teeth, and all doctors gave out vitamins and lots of much needed, expensive medicine.


Here are pictures from the clinic:



The whole crew


People in line waiting for their turn



More waiting outside of the exam rooms


Helping out one of the dermatologists



David working in the pharmacy



Me with the two main coordinators

No comments:

Post a Comment