Sunday, April 5, 2009

Farm Life

This morning my host mom, Isa, killed one of our hens to make soup. Though she has done this many times before, today was the first time that I witnessed the whole process. After slicing its neck and draining the blood, she pours some hot water over it. This helps with the de-feathering. I was surprised by how easy it was to pluck all the feathers. Once she sliced it open we found multiples eggs in different stages. One was today's egg and was complete and ready to fry up. The rest were different sizes and in different stages of formation. The picture below should help explain this better.


While she was preparing the hen, my host dad went out to pick some of the vegetables for the soup. He grows yucca and other tubers, which my host mom added to the soup. I have found that this is the great thing about living on a farm! All the fresh meat and veggies.


Here is the soup ready to eat!

1 comment:

  1. Nice graphic detail! I should be glad that I can't see the photo.

    I was a volunteer in the RCD program a few years back in Guatuso, not too far from you. I actually started my Costa Rica blog http://costaricaspanish.blogspot.com at the end of my service.

    Good luck with the rest of your service.

    ReplyDelete