Saturday, January 2, 2010

¡Maíz!

It has been corn season here for over a month. Almost everyone in my community plants at least a little bit of corn for personal consumption, while others plant fields full to sell. Lucky for me, my entire extended family has planted corn, and at different times, so there is always plenty to go around.

The most popular way to prepare corn is in chorreadas, or corn pancakes. But people also make corn bread, tamales and boil corn on the cob. One afternoon I ate corn in all four forms; I was in heaven! I LOVE chorreadas and can't believe that we don't have them in the US. It is probably more work than we are used to in the land of fast food J

Here is the process of making chorreadas with accompanying pictures.

My host mom and brother, Gabriel grinding the corn.


Cutting the corn off of the cob.

More grinding the corn.


After being grinded and ready to cook, just add sugar


Yummy chorreadas!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment